Saturday, 17 November 2012

Mom Style vs. Aunt Style

Since starting school, my parents are too far away to conveniently visit for a weekend, but other relatives are much closer. My mom and my aunt get along really well, yet I've discovered a rather large difference in their parenting styles.

This is how something would go with my mom:

Me: Mom, it's a quarter past midnight. We're all going to start watching The New Avengers now.
Mom: What? This late? We have to go to church early tomorrow morning. You'll have trouble staying awake. And other people might be trying to sleep already, and the noise will be too much. At least turn it down. This isn't a good idea. I don't think you should.

This is how it went with my aunt:

Me: Aunt Ang, it's a quarter past midnight. We're all going to start watching The New Avengers now.
Aunt Ang: Ok.

Though, she did make a comment at breakfast the next morning to do with the cause of our sleepy tardiness...

 I love you both :-)

Hawkeye Pierce: I'm not sleeping, I'm inspecting the inside of my eyelids.

2 comments:

Art said...

Well, I suspect Aunt Ang would have responded similar to your mother if you were still in Grade 12. But your story still makes me laugh. What about your Uncle Ray and your dad? Are they the same?

Carla said...

Haha! Both Uncle Ray and you would probably join us, and might very well be spearheading the "let's watch a movie" campaign.

However, there's a very good chance that Uncle Ray would fall asleep during said movie, while you would stay awake, pointing out all the flaws.