Friday, 7 September 2012

Village Bylaws

I suppose that in such a tiny little town as mine, you really do need rules to cover every contingency. You never know what kind of weirdos from the city are going to show up.
Fine. If you insist, I shall endeavour to restrain myself from driving an 8-wheeled amphibious ATV to chapel. But I'm not happy about it.

Oh, and here's a quote from one of the books* on church history I'm reading:

"[17 year old] Origen was keen to follow [his father] into martyrdom, but his mother, evidently deciding that it was bad enough to lose her husband without losing her son as well, hid his clothes. Teenage modesty prevailed over religious enthusiasm, and Origen remained safely at home."

*Hill, Jonathan. The History of Christian Thought. Downers Grove, IL: IVP Academic, 2003. Page 42

3 comments:

Shawn Anderson said...

That's not a tank. It's an 8 wheeled amphibious ATV (Argo makes them). However, in the year and a half that I spent in Caronport, I never saw anyone driving an Argo. Nor is there a lot of water around Caronport to make any sort of amphibious vehicle neccesary.

Carla said...

That's even better! Thanks for letting me know. I shall correct it immediately.

art said...

Would a segway be allowed? What about a hovercraft?

I wonder what origin put in his diary. "Did not get to go outside to be murdered because my mom hid my clothes. Life sucks. "