Tuesday, 1 May 2012

Who's the Chowder Chief

I was helping out with the regional gathering of our church denomination these last two days. One of my tasks was to cook corn chowder for all the volunteers.

Let me just say that I have never had to cook for twenty-five people before, much less using a recipe I'm "not supposed to follow". I've never had to count out twenty-four tablespoons of bullion, either. That's quite a bit of bullion.

But it all tasted good and nobody died, so I guess it counts as a success, not counting the crunched up bay leaves I couldn't find to fish out.

This is how the briefing went.

Boss: Here's the recipe, but I don't really follow it.

Me: Ok, so, this makes four servings. How many people need to eat?

Boss: Twenty-five, so you'll need to multiply everything by four.

Me: Um, by six, right?

Boss: Oh, yeah. And I bough half-and-half instead of light cream, so you'll need to change the cream amount.

Me: How much should I use?

Boss: Yes. Oh, and of course we're not using the dry wine*.

Uh-huh. Add that there were multiple other things we didn't use and not a single measuring spoon in the entire kitchen. Yet, somehow it seems I may have acquired enough culinary-competence to eyeball the proportions. That and soup tends to be forgiving.

When my friend Sharon showed up a few minutes into the soup-making effort, she asked how it was going. I was already in tears. So was my kitchen-mate. That sort of thing happens with onions, though. Thank goodness we only had to chop four. If my boss had thought to get six we might never have recovered.

*Alcohol is contraband on church property. And yet I may or may not have found a beverage of questionable nature stashed in a secret place on the premises during my tenure as temporary receptionist... (And if I did, it was unopened, of course).

“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” J. R. R. Tolkien

2 comments:

Sandra said...

This made me laugh several times, Carla! :)

Art said...

I might know or might not know of this questionable beverage you may or may not have found.