Thursday, 29 March 2012

All Growed Up

You know you're officially an adult when:

1. Kids you're used to playing goofy games with now target you for money when they have a fundraiser at school.
2. The parents of your friends call you not to invite you to birthday parties but to ask your opinion or to catch up over coffee.
3. Instead of voting as your parents tell you, your parents vote as you tell them to.
4. Coworkers old enough to be your parents introduce you to others as simply their "friend".
5. When your parents leave for the week, instead of telling you to keep it a secret and banning any friends from the house, they invite you to throw as many parties as you wish.

And sometimes you're never quite sure:

1. Just who are you supposed to refer to by first name and who by title/last name, huh?
2. You still measure how adult you are by comparing yourself to your parents.

Growing up is weird.

"Someday you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." C.S. Lewis

2 comments:

Bri said...

"True that" to all of your statements!

art said...

I still wonder many of the same things myself. I know statistically and legally I am fully considered an adult but sometimes I wonder if I really am. Even when I talk to my friend's dad, I wonder if I should say "Mister" or not.

I agree. It's weird.