Thursday, 26 January 2012

Don't Think Too Hard

I was browsing through some philosophy essays I wrote during my first year of university. I think 2006-2008 was the epoch of my academic writing career. My style was both colourful and interesting without being too casual. Most of the time.

In a discussion about the pitfalls of over-thinking things, I wrote,

"There are so many variables that, in an extreme case, a person [who is trying to consider them all] might eventually find him or herself to be caught so deeply in thought that nothing would ever get accomplished, and the person would simply appear to become an atrophied blob of breathing, thinking flesh."

While I don't think he took any marks off for it, my professor scrawled in the margin, "Carla, I really didn't need this image!"

I probably wouldn't try to use that word-picture in formal writing nowadays.

"Pay no attention to what the critics say. Remember, a statue has never been set up in honor of a critic!" Jean Sibelius

1 comment:

Art said...

Nice colorful language. Am I a blob of flesh?