Sunday, 18 December 2011

Merry Christmas Comeback

I discovered something else that makes me feel happy inside: people saying "Merry Christmas". I've been hearing it quite a bit lately.

It's surprising, actually. My friends and people at church quite naturally say "Merry Christmas" a lot, but I'm hearing it everywhere. Customers at Timmy's are saying it, and they're not merely responding to me but beating me to the punch. The clerks at Shopper's yesterday also wished me several Merry Christmases. But the one that really had me scratching my head was the little coffee newspaper that's distributed for free at various fast-food stops. It's a one page deal, half-full of advertising. Of the remaining space, approximately 1/3 of it is taken up with horoscopes. But there, in bold type, just beneath the horoscopes, this little paper proudly asserted:

"Merry Christmas! Celebrate Jesus, the reason for the season."

Something is happening, here. Perhaps Calgary as a whole has gotten fed up with the political correctness of the past few Decembers and having rejected that, is embracing tradition again. And it is tradition; although there are other festivals celebrated at this time, they have little history in Canada and are observed by far fewer people here. By the predominance of "Merry Christmas", it seems that the population may be admitting that fact, after trying vainly to be inclusive with "Season's Greetings" and "Happy Holidays" for the last few years.

Thus far, I don't remember a single "Season's Greetings" or "Happy Holidays" this month. They're out there, yes, but mostly in print (and not in all printed things, obviously!) People aren't saying them to each other; at least they haven't been to me. It's Christmas, and we're not ashamed of it! That makes me very happy.

"I'm not politically incorrect, I'm just euphemistically challenged." Gilbert E. Detillieux

2 comments:

aisha said...

Dodge Caravan AC Compressor
Wow its a very good post. The information provided by you is really very good and helpful for me. Keep sharing good information..

Art said...

Merry Christmas! Happy New Year! Happy birthday Jesus! I am glad that people are not scared to say these phrases.