Wednesday, 14 December 2011

Executive Directors and Spontaneous Combustion

I got a job thingy at the Distress Centre for a few days this month. Like, I actually get paid. A bit. Nevermind that that it is mind-numbingly dull. But this job does have a few upsides:

1. I get to see and feel a bit about how the paid DC runs, as opposed to the volunteer side of things, which I'm already used to. Put faces to names and jobs to faces and such.

2. Perhaps, just maybe, I get my foot in the door a little bit?

3. I get to sit all day at the Executive Director's desk, in the large Executive Director's office.

She's gone on holidays or something, so no one's using it, and her computer is one of the few that's been set up with the database program I'm working with.

Over lunch, one of the staffers who works in the phone room and knows I'm just a lowly volunteer mentioned that she had walked by the office earlier that morning.

"Wow," she quipped, "Carla's sure moved up!"

And at one point a pick-up/delivery boy stopped in to pick up a couple of chairs. My supervisor showed him to the office and pointed out the chairs, but when he pulled out his clipboard to be signed, he offered it first to me. Ha!

Yes! Power trip! Executive Director at 22? And no! I'm not grown up enough! Do I look grown up enough to be that important?

Ah, well. I should enjoy it while it lasts.

And it has nothing to do with anything, but I was reading A Christmas Carol this week - the real, unabridged, Charles Dickens version - and ran across this quote. It has got to be one of the most awesome quotes from an old, dead author ever:

"[Scrooge] was sometimes apprehensive that he might be at that very moment an interesting case of spontaneous combustion, without having the consolation of knowing it."

I can't imagine how awful it would be to spontaneously combust without realizing it.

My sister was choking once, and my brother was getting concerned. "Don't die, Brianna! Because that would be really sad!" he exclaimed. Then he added after a pause, "But if you do die, could you at least spontaneously combust? Because that would be really cool."

Thankfully, she didn't do either.

1 comment:

Art said...

You are a high powered exec at age 22? Awesome. I feel like I could just spontaneously combust.