Thursday, 23 June 2011

Vote of Confidence

Once upon a time, some friends and I were playing a game called "Imaginiff". One of the questions asked what I would do if someone at work propositioned asked me out. My friend Sarah said that I would probably con a meal out of him, then turn him down.

I was mildly affronted that she believed I would use him like that and take his food.

Recently at Timmy's, an Esso compatriot brought me flowers and said I was pretty. Even I, who generally believes people when they say they-aren't-crying-they've-just-got-something-in-their-eye, could tell that he was nervous to talk to me.

He seems nice (based on the 2 or 3 sentences I've exchanged with him in the past), but there is no chance at all that I am interested.

Yet, for several long moments, I contemplated whether I could just grab the flowers and run.

So, Sarah, I may stand corrected. How did you know I was a nut?

“The mere thought hadn't even begun to speculate about the merest possibility of crossing my mind.” Douglas Adams

1 comment:

Art said...

Well, I often have something maybe from the wind that gets in my eye and causes it to water. The guy was probably nervous because he was worried about what to do with the flowers if you said 'No'