Saturday, 30 April 2011

Readable

I have a face that is incredibly easy to read. It also, by the way, tends to make faces while I read. But that's beside the point. The point is that people can usually tell what I'm feeling or even what I'm thinking and they don't have to be particularly adept at people-reading to tell. I can believe I'm being stoic, but it doesn't really work. I have discovered this in many situations with many people over the last few years.

This morning at Timmy's was a gong show - Saturdays usually are. It's busier than the weekdays, but we have one less person on staff. Plus my supervisor is just a teen girl who admittedly tries, but hasn't gotten the hang of handling the whole little store and all that entails. This could have something to do with the chronic under-staffing - I doubt she even knows what a properly running store feels like.

Today we had one kid who has never worked at our Esso before, one kid who moves like she's constantly swimming through molasses, our supervisor, and myself. I was the eldest by at least five years. Needless to say, things weren't running smoothly. I was grumpy. And frustrated. I pretty much took over and started telling people what to do. And if customers on drive-thru didn't answer me when I asked what I could get for them, I let them sit there until the cows came home or they figured something was wrong and said hello. Haha! Sweet vengeance.

About half-an-hour before my shift was over, one of the girls I was working with said, "Carla, how do you manage to wake up to be here by 6 a.m., and be so energetic and cheerful the whole time?"

So I consider this a victory. Today, at least, my negative attitude was not exceedingly obvious. And I kept us all alive. Hurrah!

"If you don't get everything you want, think of the things you don't get that you don't want." Oscar Wilde

1 comment:

art said...

I am glad to hear that people view you as energetic and cheerful. Those are great qualities to have.