Tuesday, 29 March 2011

Bonhoeffer was NOT Canadian

Yet for a moment I thought he had stood in for my grandfather in some of the family pictures... The one of the far left is either the famous theologian Dietrich Bonhoeffer or he's my maternal grandfather, Albert Meginbir.


This one is also Dietrich.

This one, on the other hand, is definitely my grandfather. But no, that is not my grandmother. And no, I don't approve of her smoking. But regardless of who she is and what she is doing, don't you agree that my grandpa could have passed for Bonhoeffer in a pinch if they happened to find themselves the same age in the same decade? Not that he would want to, seeing as Bonhoeffer was executed by the Nazis, but still...

I don't have any quotes at all from my grandfather, as he died when my mom was small, so I'll use a random quote by Bonhoeffer instead:

“It is not only what is said that matters, but also the man who says it.” Dietrich Bonhoeffer

1 comment:

art said...

They do look German. Maybe you are related to Dietrich. I never met Albert either which is too bad.