Friday, 13 August 2010

The Perils of Kids Ministry

This week was Performing Arts Camp at the church. I was the dance coach for the third year running. This afternoon, as I was socializing over tacos with some of the campers, one of the little girls, whom I shall refer to as E, suddenly bounced in her seat and swung an arm over to point at me.

"Aha!" she shouted, "You're in love with someone!"

"What?" I laughed.

She backtracked a bit. "Or something like that. You have a ring!"

At this point, little boy J joined the conversation. "Are you married?"

"No," I replied. "If I were married, my ring would be on my left hand. This was my grandma's wedding ring. I got it for my birthday." This is where the conversation really started to take on a life of its own.

"Is she dead?" inquired E.

"Yes,"
I said, "She died when my mom was small."

"Was it cancer?
" asked J.

"Yes,"
I said.

J looked down at his plate of taco mess. "I hope I don't get cancer. I don't want to die."

"I hope you don't, too,"
I agreed.

E shook her head. "You can't get cancer," she said to J. "You get cancer in your boobies."

"Um,"
I hemmed, "Actually, you can get cancer wherever..."

"You get it in your boobies,"
E reaffirmed.

J thought he'd clarify the situation. "Those are girls' private parts," he said.

"Ok,"
I said, "This isn't appropriate. New topic, guys."

"Boys have different private parts,"
E agreed with J.

"They're called 'nibbles',"
J informed her, "and they don't grow."

Ah, yes. The perils of trying to hold dinner conversation with seven-year-olds. Though it's interesting how J's first thought was dead = cancer, and E has clearly heard a lot about breast cancer. I guess cancer is so common now that a lot of kids are somehow affected by it...

On a happier note, I am now reigning champ of the PAC 2010 Air Hockey Tournament. :-D

Speaking of cute things kids say, here's Uncle Dale's daughter, Eden, when someone tried to give her cheddar cheese for her hot dog: "No! I want the plastic cheese!"

1 comment:

art said...

Funny conversation. It is usually at that moment when things are awkward that someone else comes into the scene and listens into the conversation. I think kids are more aware of that stuff now-a-days then they used to be.

I prefer the real cheese over the plastic stuff.