Friday, 6 August 2010

One of Those Days

I was at the Distress Centre on Thursday night, signing up for a shift over the weekend. I was rather surprised and a little confused to see that all of Saturday is split into just two shifts. One shift runs from 2:42 p.m. to 4:42 p.m. The other shift runs from 4:42 p.m. until 2:42 p.m the next day. I don't know about you, but a 22 hour shift, to me, seems to be a bit of an overkill.

While I was pondering the strange scheduling at the DC, a girl walked in. Apparently her boyfriend had signed her up for one of these 22 hour shifts, and she was not at all happy about it. She drew for him a picture of a tuxedo, which was somehow supposed to relay to him her emotions and expectations on the matter. I gave her a hug to help her feel better, but she found it awkward and stalked away.

It was probably better that she did, because my bed was in the room and it was past one in the morning. I really wanted to go to sleep because I work at 6:oo a.m. on Friday mornings, and have my bedside alarm clock set to go off at 4:45. When I had finally turned out the lights and brushed my teeth, I tucked myself into bed and gloried in the feeling of the cool sheets against my legs. I leaned down to put my head on the pillow and was just about to fall asleep when

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

Thus my alarm clock went off and I woke up. And I realized that I had just been dreaming of going to bed and sleeping. You know, there's nothing quite like dreaming about a long, monotonous day to sap you of your energy before you even start. I wasn't exactly full of pep come waking.

But now I want to know: if I HAD fallen asleep in my dream, would I have experienced a dream within a dream?

"Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." Lewis Carrol

2 comments:

Bri said...

Wait I'm so confused... so the whole bit about the girlfriend and there being two shifts on Saturday was in your dream?

And I know right! I think that happened to me once.

art said...

When you dream you are awake it gets very confusing. I suppose some people go through life like that. At least you did not have the 22 hours shift...