Monday, 26 July 2010

Classical Conditioning

The first time I put on a headset at the Distress Centre, I knew my many hours at the Tim Horton's drive-thru were one day going to come back to haunt me. I didn't know when, and I didn't know how often, but I realized it was inevitable.

Today it happened.

My phone was ringing at the Distress Centre, startling me out of my reverie. Promptly, like a good volunteer, I picked up the call.

"Hey, there," I said, "Welcome to Ti- ah... I mean Distress Centre. What can I get for you? Uh, I mean do for you... uh, sorry about that... real sorry... uh, oh boy."

Luckily the caller appeared to just be waiting for a vocal cue to start speaking, and barely noticed my mangled greeting.

Now we wait to see when it is that I first start asking Timmy's customers how they feel today and if they're having any suicidal thoughts...

“Whatever you say, say it with conviction.” Mark Twain

3 comments:

mmeguertin said...

drive-through mental health care must be the next step...? right?

mmeguertin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
art said...

Perhaps all that many of those people calling into the Distress Center needs is a donut? If they are feeling down, perhaps just encourage them to go buy a donut from Tims. Then life will be better.