Tuesday, 20 April 2010

Six Links: Famous People

You have probably heard of this "Six Degrees of Separation" thing before - the idea that any person on the planet knows someone who knows someone who knows someone etc. who knows any given person on the planet. Not that there's someone who knows everyone, but the social network on planet earth today is so web-like that you should be connected to any particular person within about six degrees of separation. I have learned how seemingly true this actually is. Yours truly is linked to Orlando Bloom and Queen Elizabeth II in less than six links.

The Wanderer --> 1. Friend Julie --> 2. Friend of Julie's --> 3. Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie --> 4. Queen Elizabeth II

The Wanderer --> 1. Sister Brianna --> 2. Friend in youth group --> 3. Babysitter (Evangeline Lilly) --> 4. Boyfriend (Dominic Monaghan) --> 5. Orlando Bloom

Not that it matters, but I wonder who else I might be linked to. A full scale research effort, however, would first require a better definition of what it means to "know" someone. In the cases above, though, I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be any debate (at least for now - who knows, in ten years maybe some of these relationships will be dissolved and dubious). There's a man in my church that I suspect could link me to half of Calgary, and a professor that could link me to the Canadian political scene... hmm...

Just thought I'd post this because it makes me feel special and important - not that I greatly respect Hollywood or the institution of royalty, of course.

“Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art, like the universe itself (for God did not need to create). It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival.” C. S. Lewis

4 comments:

art said...

I wonder what the math says. If there is about 7 billion people in the world, the sixth root of 7 billion is about 44. (44^6=7.2 billion). That means everyone in the world needs to know about 44 people for this to work. That is probably high if you are talking friends. (real friends as opposed to facebook friends). If you are talking just acquaintances, then it is probably doable.

Bri said...

I'll let you know if I learn of other connections!

And I love love love the picture at the top of your blog. It's perfect.

Carla said...

Well, I suppose we're probably talking friends, relatives, and coworkers at least. But like I said, I don't know how "know" is defined.

Kate said...

Hold the phone...you are connected to the Queen??? How does one manage that? You do have connections!
Lucky girl! : )