Friday, 12 February 2010

Geeks and Gauntlet

Just finished the third of three back-to-back classes at the university, I shuffled down the hall and slung my backpack onto the table where my friend was working on her laptop.

"Hey," I said.

"Hi," she replied.

"Rah rah ah-ah-ah! Ro mah ro-mah-mah!" the hall behind us burst into song. Raising my eyebrows I turned around to see a guy dressed in a panda costume, another guy dressed in blue spandex (he looked kinda like Howard from Big Bang Theory), a guy in a tank top that said "Too sexy for my sleeves" and at least another three oddly dressed companions. "Gaga ooh-la-la!" they belted out a cappella, doing very nicely at projecting their voices.

There's not a lot that goes on in the university that will get people to stop and watch, but this sure did. I have to hand it to those guys (and one girl). They looked strange, had a talented beat-boxer, and all things considered, sounded quite good.

But my favourite part was when two of the strangely dressed guys (one of them was the beat-boxer) branched off from the group and sang directly for me. I'd like to think it was my beauty and charming smile that attracted them, but I suspect it was just the proximity of my chair to their makeshift stage. Though it's probably a good thing that I wasn't listening too hard to the lyrics, and was just enjoying the "Rah rah ah-ah-ah".

They received an enthusiastic round of loud applause at the conclusion of their performance. They wished everyone a happy Valentine's Day (which is kind of odd, seeing as the name of the song is "Bad Romance") and exited to more applause.

Maybe it's just the performer still in me that likes being acknowledged by people on a stage, but it made my day, even if they all looked more like geeks than pop stars. Or maybe because they looked like geeks? Hmmm...

Anyway, speaking of the uni, another couple of articles I wrote have been published in the Gauntlet, at least on the online version. You can check them out if you like. The first one is about the body scanners installed in the airports and the second is about a debate that happened at the the university.

While we're on the topic of bad romances:
Wadsworth: But your first husband also disappeared!
Mrs. White: Well, that was his job. He was an illusionist.
Wadsworth: But he never reappeared!
Mrs. White: He wasn't a very good illusionist.

1 comment:

art said...

I read both Gauntlet articles and I thought they were well written and interesting. With regard to the underwear bomber, I noticed you did not get into how the public did not want the body scanners but conveniently this scatter brained bomber shows up and now everyone is buying body scanners.

I am sure one day your husband will sing to you like these gaga people did. (unless you marry a nerd.)