Friday, 27 November 2009

Coffee Count

If you are interested in statistics, service industry business ventures, caffeine, coffee, or repetitive strain injury, this post is for you.

For those of you who don't already know, I work at a little Tim Horton's (I refuse to omit the apostrophe) in an Esso station early Friday mornings. This morning I was working the beverage station at the drive-thru and my coworker, Brenda, was managing the counter. An idea struck me like lightning. Well, ok, actually, this is something I've wanted to do since I started working at Timmy's two-and-a-half years ago, but never got around to doing. My idea? Count how many pots of coffee we make in one hour. Brenda was equally intrigued by the idea.

Here's how we set up the experiment:
1. For each pot of coffee made, make one tally mark with the grease pencil on the front of the cream dispenser.
2. Steeped tea counts separately. Decaf counts as coffee.
3. Count only pots made during the two peak morning hours, 7 a.m. - 9 a.m.

Keep in mind that this is a little Esso station that doesn't even serve soup or breakfast sandwiches and that generally runs out of bagels by ten in the morning.

Final count? 83 pots of coffee and 6 pots of steeped tea. Breakdown? 32 pots on drive-thru from 7 til 8, 23 pots on drive-thru from 8 til 9. 28 pots on counter total. That works out, between the two of us, to a pot of coffee every minute and twenty-four seconds.

It was a slow day. We plan to count again next week, as today's stats aren't indicative of the norm.

All this to say "society is full of caffeine junkies".

“I've come loaded with statistics, for I've noticed that a man can't prove anything without statistics.” Mark Twain

2 comments:

art said...

That is a lot of coffee. I suspect I am below average on my coffee addiction. I wonder how much people would drink if they came up with a good tasting drink that was actually good for you? On second thought, it probably wouldn't sell as it is the addiction part that makes it so popular and a healthy drink should not be addictive. The question I will ponder now is "Can something that is good for you be addictive?"

Brianna said...

To answer Daddy's question...

I've been addicted to milk and cold green tea?