Thursday, 29 October 2009

Lost Treasure

I lost my purse. I had it with me, and then halfway through my second uni class, I realized I didn't have it with me. It wasn't on the table, it wasn't by my feet, it wasn't under my friends' feet, it wasn't under my chair, it wasn't hanging off my chair. It wasn't at the front of the room where I had checked my grades...

So I got up and left. It wasn't in the hall where I had been sitting, so I "walked" to Scurvy Hall, where my earlier class had been, praying that no one had taken it. It wasn't in the bathroom I had utilized there. That's it. It had to be in one of those places, because I distinctly remembered taking it into the washroom, and now it wasn't there. It wasn't anywhere. It was officially gone.

I contemplated calling dad to inquire after credit card canceling, but my phone, also, was in the purse. Growing more distraught, I walked back to class. I doubled checked - it still wasn't under the table, under someone's feet, etc. etc. so I packed up and left again (of course I had to be sitting near the front of the class so everyone could see my in-out-in-out-ness). Thinking I was going to be in tears shortly, I looked down the hall, heart thudding, and what should strike me but a sudden spark of hopefulness? Maybe someone turned it in at the Psych Head Office, which is just down the hall from where I probably lost it! I walked to the front desk and asked the man there if someone had turned in a brown purse.

He said yes. And so it was. THANK HEAVENS! And thank God! A small bit of my faith in humanity has been restored. As the guy at the desk said, "You got lucky." Don't I know it. It took me forty-five minutes to realize I had lost a full purse - at a busy university full of crazy undergrads.

It appears that nothing was taken - cash, credit card, cell phone, and camera are all still there (plus other things that don't all start with "c") ...I shall be writing a note in the Gauntlet to thank whoever it was that was kind and honest enough to prevent me from suffering for my carelessness.

What a relief!

"I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought; and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder." G.K. Chesterton

1 comment:

art said...

That is one nice thing about having a wallet that fits in your pants. The chances of losing the wallet are reduced. At least it had a happy ending. I would think that it is fairly uncommon for someone to return the purse with everything in it.