Saturday, 31 October 2009

Attack of the Syringes

Here is the link to another article I wrote for the Gauntlet. It pertains to the swine flu vaccine which just hit the city.

I don't have much else to say on the subject, except that the list of people "most at risk" seems to be growing bigger every time I stumble across it. Also, I have the afternoon off to do some homework because one of the kids I usually nanny on Saturdays is sick. Her mom thinks it's the swine flu. Actually, I had four swine flu symptoms myself for a couple days this week - cough, sore throat, runny nose, and body aches. I wonder if that works as well as the vaccine does to inoculate me from getting it "again". Of course, that's assuming the mutated flu versions don't soon reign supreme.

It's incredible how frantic people are to get vaccinated. A customer at Timmy's today told me that by 6:45 am, the line-up at a clinic was well over a block long. The clinic doesn't open until 8:30.

Yeesh.

“The most dangerous ideas in a society are not the ones being argued, but the ones that are assumed.” C. S. Lewis

2 comments:

Kirk said...

eh, I got the flu before the vaccine came to my school. It's not too bad actually, because all our professors have been ordered to be very accommodating to sick people. Anyway, I've got happy antibodies running around my system now.

art said...

I have heard from experts that placebos can work just as well as a name brand drug. I mixed a placebo in with my cereal, just like I do every year and it has always worked in the past. I am guessing this strategy will continue working for me.