Friday, 4 September 2009

Opinions on Demand

Suddenly people want my opinion.

That's not usually the case. Perhaps that's one of the reasons I've started this blog.

But now, this year, my volunteer life is going to mainly consist of giving my opinion. And people are welcoming it.

Firstly, I shall be co-leading a Bible study with the grade 11 and 12 girls at my church. That is to say, parents will be trusting me to correctly interpret and instruct their daughters in highly important matters. Not that they haven't already been trusting me with their 7 and 8 year-old children with much the same, but most parents of second-graders don't expect me to have to explain more than "Jesus is the answer for everything and He wants you to obey your parents!" That preconception is entirely untrue - I've got some critical questions from the kids (in particular from one girl whom I've quoted several times on this blog) - but still, the chances are not high that I'm going to get into a discussion about pre-Adamic man or dispensationalism with even the smartest of them.

I suspect that the chances I'll get into discussions about pre-Adamic man or dispensationalism with the eleventh and twelfth-grader girls are also fairly low, but still much higher. And parents and church staff will be trusting that I can give a fair opinion that is usually correct should such questions arise.

Of course, I'm excited because I can build relationships with these awesome girls, not because I'm glorying in the power I shall wield.

Secondly, I shall be a journalist for my school's newspaper, the Gauntlet. Mainly as an opinions columnist, though I've also offered to cover theatre events and proofread from time to time (I wonder what that says about my personality).

There aren't many people who actually take time to read the Gauntlet, but apparently the editors get quite a bit of hate-mail and are generally disliked by the Students' Union members. I've always liked browsing the paper, at least, even if they do publish a lot of crass articles. At any rate, I'll be happy to contribute to anything that idealizes free speech.

“It is the nature, and the advantage, of strong people that they can bring out the crucial questions and form a clear opinion about them. The weak always have to decide between alternatives that are not their own.” Dietrich Bonhoeffer

4 comments:

steph said...

ooh, i'm excited for your opportunity to work with those girls! you'll be a great blessing to them =D

and writing for the gauntlet should be a good experience, let me know how it goes through the year

CavDawg said...

Wow, I suddenly really really want to talk to you about pre-Adamic men. I also don't know what you mean by "dispensationalism" but we should rap about that too.

I'm also taking (another) class on Islam. Want to do a Qur'an read-through with me?

Anyway, we should chat.

Josh said...

I too am interested in what you would have to say about pre-Adamic man. I have always loved theological debates and discussions, and I have been thinking about this subject recently.

-peace-

P.S. I love all the Tolkien quotes, The Lord of the Rings is one of my favorite stories.

Art said...

You have lots of good things to share with others. I wonder which venue will be the one you receive your first pushback - the SS class or the Gauntlet. I am sure if you mention pre-adamic man or dispensationalism, you will get pushback from both groups.