Saturday, 25 July 2009

Light on the Situation

I contemplated buying a little cigarette lighter for my purse today. You never know, it could come in handy. It would feel quite at home with the Swiss-army-like knife thing and the nail clippers, which have proven to come in quite useful from time to time. And you never know when I might end up stranded on the side of the road with nothing but my purse and wits to keep me alive. Being able to start a bush fire may mean the difference between life and death. But there's also another scenario popped into my head.

Suppose some bum asks me whether I have a lighter so he can smoke.

Extreme creativity aside, I could do one of three things. I could contribute to his demise by lighting his cigarette, I could lie and say I don't have a lighter, or I could say "Yeah, I have a lighter, but I won't share it with you." So basically, I would be forced into becoming either a(n) a. aid to suicide, b. liar, or c. nasty rude person.

All those options stink.

Wait - brain wave - I can just say, "No, I don't have one you can use." Because then it's ambiguous enough I don't have to actually lie. Although it might be good for penniless smokers if they're met with a bit of a friendly retort from time to time. Perhaps it'll slap a little sense into them?

That settles it. Next time I see a cigarette lighter for sale, I'm buying one. Or are they cheaper bulk?

"Smoking? I thought that went out of style years ago." My dad, when someone asked him for smokes. The man actually laughed and made small talk later with us on...

1 comment:

art said...

If someone asks you if you have a lighter, you can say something like, "If I did, how much would you be willing to buy it for?". If he offers you enough money, then you could sell it for a profit and then buy another one later on. If the guy needs a smoke, he may be willing to offer a lot of money to satisfy his craving.