Thursday, 28 May 2009

Hasta la Vista

I am wondering whether anyone else who runs Windows Vista had their keyboards and touchpads freeze this week. My dad and I had been discussing how to hack computer systems the day before mine bagged out, so at first I assumed he had wormed into my system and changed my password to demonstrate how it's done. It turns out this wasn't the case, however, but for some inexplicable reason my touchpad became unresponsive and the keyboard only worked if you typed about one letter a second.

As of today, I have never yet opened a virus on my computer, and I believe I've managed to avoid trojans and spyware, too (although if it's good spyware, I'd never know, right?) Neither could I think of anything I had done that would have caused my computer to dislike me, so my dad and I were quite confused.

The next day, my dad's laptop also showed the same symptoms. The only similarity between his laptop and my laptop is the operating system... So he called a friend to ask after the state of his laptop. Although it was fine at the time, the next day he called back to say he had rebooted and that his keyboard and touchpad weren't working.

Thinking that Microsoft had been given ample time to fix the problem, I took out the battery for a full restart. Now it works again.

There are two options here:
1. It was a very odd virus that fooled two engineers, one of whom is a computer programmer with Pentagon-grade encryption on his machine, and a paranoid female who hardly opens anything but text documents.
2. Vista programmers goofed - again. Presumably, rebooting the machine caused an automatically downloaded update to kill the input devices. In this case, at least the programmers were fairly fast about getting an automatically downloaded patch out there to fix the problem they caused.

Sigh. I liked XP so much better.

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.” Mark Twain

3 comments:

Jo said...

Vista is a virus...
Do yourself a favor and get Ubuntu. :)

Bri said...

Haha. Glad that problem was dealt with already!

Kirk said...

heheh, I see Jo has beaten me. I unfortunately do not have Ubuntu, and I continually envy her, but at least I've still got XP which is indeed way better than Vista.