Tuesday, 21 April 2009

Idiomatic

Here's hoping I hit the nail on the head this morning with my linguistics exam. Ling isn't a piece of cake, but methinks I cut the mustard - knock on wood. I'm still puttering away on a take-home exam, due Thursday. I can't say that it's in the bag, because it's anyone's call what this prof really wants. It's something of a toss-up - you'd think that a communications professor would practice what she preaches a little more so that she's not just speaking Greek to us. Though I suppose that's mostly water under the bridge - next to linguistics, communication was a prime course, and I don't expect to pull a 180 and flounder now.

But come hell or high water, it looks like I won't be burning any bridges (or, as the Chinese say, breaking the woks and sinking the boats) with the uni this year, though it would be extremely gratifying. Not that I want to spend my whole post airing dirty laundry, but I can't help having some bones to pick with the place after this past year. I'm not sure why so many people turn a blind eye to its schemes - and I'm not spouting about only the anti-abortion display. I'm just a drop in the bucket, but if everyone makes it clear we have an axe to grind, then maybe we'll find that even a giant leopard can change its spots. The current bad publicity the uni is getting is just a slap on the wrist, and nothing is going to change if we're all bark and no bite.

That being said, there's a silver lining even here, so I'll have to keep my chin up. Though the administration stinks, I have to let some of the profs and employees off the hook. They aren't the ones calling the shots, and obviously passed Teaching 101 with flying colours. The rest of them are either greenhorns, though, or just aren't quite up to snuff.

So for now, I'm going to put my nose to the grindstone and bulldoze my way through this mountain of work, and then utterly destroy these upcoming multiple choice exams - here's to crossing my fingers that they aren't all worded like mumbo jumbo.

Break a leg to everyone who's in the same boat and has to measure up to exams in the coming week or two - hit the books and don't run out of steam yet. We'll see you on the other side!

“At the beginning there was the Word - at the end just the Cliche.” Stanislaw Jerzy Lec

4 comments:

Bri said...

Grace and peace for all your tests! =)

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I'm up to my eyeballs in cliches!! At this stage of the game I'd say hang in there--the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. Don't rock the boat too much and mind your p's and q's.
That's all I can muster this morning! :) So I'll bid you farewell.
Love,
Mom

Kirk said...

aah, don't worry...administration and faculty problems are common. At least, they occur at my school too, so I think they must be.

art said...

Hang in there. Only about 70 more years and it will be basically all over. (unless the 2012 end of the earth thing is true...)