Friday, 27 March 2009

What a Hoot

When I was shoveling the sidewalk a few days ago, a truck full of guys drove by (as close to the walkway as they could, in order to splash me with slush) and whistled "Hot chick!"

Perhaps it's the season for catcalls, because today, as I was walking home from the train station, another truck full of young men drove by and hooted through their open window.

At any rate, I know I'm supposed to find it demeaning, but it just makes me laugh. And reminds me of Peru. Oh, Peru...

The minds of men will forever be foreign to me. Why would anyone want to whistle at a girl in a winter coat with completely wind-whipped hair? Bent under the weight of a snow-laden shovel or a backpack?

They're an odd breed, I tell you.

"What, Sir, would the people of the earth be without woman? They would be scarce, Sir, mighty scarce." Mark Twain

4 comments:

Bri said...

HAHA! I wonder if they would have done that while Mark was helping you.

It's true... they just amuse me.

steph said...

this was amusing!

art said...

I would think some females go through their entire life without being whistled at. It probably should be considered a twisted compliment. Being called a dog would be demeaning. I don't think anyone has ever called me a hot chick. It probably is a good thing. Anyway, thanks for shoveling the walk.

Kirk said...

Ah, something like that recently happened to my roommate, although the guy in the truck was very nice about it. Maybe it does have something to do with the time of the year. I have no idea.