Thursday, 26 March 2009

Up to Speed

So here's the plan for the summer. I'm going to attempt to find a good job, but given that a friend of mine turned in 60 applications and got 2 interviews, it's looking a little scary. I'm a tad fatalistic, and don't really expect to get something all that great, and yes, I realize this could turn into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

But I am optimistic. As soon as I can figure out what I want to with regards to education next term, I shall apply for many, many scholarships and search for money in easily earned places (such as sending jokes to magazine editors). If all goes well, perhaps I will not need a well-paying job this so-called vacation.

I guess you could say that I'm an optimistic fatalist.

Meanwhile, the pro-life group set up on campus again this week. I've collected about 400 signatures on their behalf, but that will not be nearly enough to pressure the uni. From here on out I dub the project "Operation Up Ostrich*", and shall renew efforts for widespread circulation, though there isn't much time left in the semester.

That's all the update for now. Perhaps I shall be struck by some spark of ingeniousness which will prompt me to post something more mentally stimulating within the week, but if not, I'll see you on the other side of the great carry-over. Next week I cross the threshold into... well, I suppose I'm legally an adult already, but I will leave behind me the label of "teenager" and be forevermore known as a grown-up. Yikes.

“The man who is a pessimist before forty-eight knows too much; if he is an optimist after it he knows too little.” Mark Twain

*Props if you can guess why.

1 comment:

art said...

Don't you wish you were still under the age of 12 where legally you cannot be charged for any crime? That would be so handy. However, I suspect you would not be committing crimes regardless. It must be nice to know that in some cultures you would be considered an old maid but not in Canada.