Tuesday, 24 February 2009

Context

Foggy brained... I'm fighting off a cold.

Anyways, a lady at church was talking to me about my petition and my activist stance on the whole pro-life/free speech kerscuffle here at the uni. She was enthusiastically encouraging me to keep at it and reminding me that our fight is not against flesh and blood, so I shouldn't be bitter towards the people involved. I think she was happy that I was throwing myself into the mess. Eager to back up her support of me with scripture, she asked me, "What did Mordecai say to Esther?"

Confused, I responded, "...um.... 'If you don't do this, someone else will'?"

Needless to say, that wasn't quite the quote she had in mind, but I was only half a verse off. We got a good laugh out of it. And in case you're curious, she was thinking about "Perhaps you were meant for such as time as this." (Both are found in Esther 4:14)

Yes, I realize we paraphrased both quotes, but the intent is the same.

"Taken out of context I must seem so strange." Ani Difranco

2 comments:

steph said...

yep, you're on my iGoogle roll =p
and it's great that lady at church was encouraging you!

art said...

The petition saga is a story of man vs the system. (merging the last several blogs into one neat comment.)

I wonder if I can come up with a Bible story to encourage you... What about Elisha when he made the axe head float?

Here is some more stuff to consider: hv a gt dy!