Monday, 1 December 2008

I Know I'm a Doomsdayer

What with the coup that's about to utterly destroy everything good and praiseworthy about Canada, I felt motivated enough to write the idiots responsible. First I emailed the Liberal Party.

Dear Liberal Party of Canada,
As a university student who hopefully has a long life ahead of me as a citizen in a stable, democratic nation, I am asking you please, please do not align yourself with the party whose main goal is to destroy Canada. If the Bloc Quebecois gets into power, it will not be just Canada that will be deeply scarred, but also my belief that the members of the Liberal party have a conscience about them which they would like to keep clean. It is an absolutely ridiculous idea that Harper must be overthrown at any cost up to and including all provinces but Quebec.
Please look at this from the point of view of a proud citizen, and not from that of a desperate party who sees no other way to reclaim power that it democratically lost.

Then I pretty much copy and pasted and fed my thoughts to the NDP. I changed a few key bits to make it more relevant and so that whoever reads it won't know that they're second to the Liberals.

Dear NDP of Canada,
As a university student who hopefully has a long life ahead of me as a citizen in a stable, democratic nation, I am asking you please, please do not align yourself with the party whose main goal is to destroy Canada. If the Bloc Quebecois gets into power, it will not be just Canada that will be deeply scarred, but also my belief that the members of the NDP have a social conscience about them which they would like to keep clean. It is an absolutely ridiculous idea that Harper must be overthrown at any cost up to and including all provinces but Quebec.
Please look at this from the point of view of a proud citizen, and not from that of a desperate party who sees no other way to get the power that it is having trouble democratically claiming.

Then I wrote to the Bloc. I figure since they know I can never vote for them anyways (because I wrote them in English), and they really don't care, there was no sense in being diplomatic - if they even understand what I wrote. This was just therapy. Did you know that on their site they don't even claim to be working for Canada? Just Quebec. They state it right there (in French, of course).

Dear Bloc Quebecois,
I'm sure you're giggling with glee over this coup. If you do get in power, please make sure that the first order of business is to secede from Canada. If you really are all about Quebec, then I am imploring you, please don't touch the rest of Canada. And if you are only the worms you make yourselves out to be, don't be spiteful when people step on you later.

When I went to write the Conservative Party, I was forced to choose the topic of my comment as either membership, donations, or the website. At first I figured "political advice" didn't fit under any of the three, and so honestly navigated away, but, after a moment of crafty plotting, went back. I don't suppose their website techie will be able to do much about my comment, but at least I wrote someone...

Dear Conservative Party of Canada,
Your website is lacking an easy-to-find place in which to contact you about anything other than membership, donations, or the website.
Where am I supposed to appeal to you as a young, interested citizen to please dissolve the government before letting Michaelle Jean hand everything over to Dion? I voted Conservative, and the last thing I want is the Bloc or NDP to have more influence than they already do in Alberta.

I tried to find Michaelle Jean's email, too, but from what I gathered, you actually have to use the snail mail to contact Her Excellency, so I contacted the secretary's office, instead.

Dear Office of the Secretary to the Governor General,
I am a university student and proud citizen of Canada who is more than a little worried about the future of my homeland. Nobody voted to give Her Excellency the position of Governor General of Canada, so I do not understand why Canadians must entrust the future of our nation to her. If the non-confidence motion goes through, I believe it would be much more democratic, and generally more honourable, for the Governor General to force another election rather than appoint Dion as the new Prime Minister. The coalition parties lost the last election for a reason. Please don't hand to them what they rightfully lost or never had.

I tremble for our nation. Many prayers requested!

"Thank you for sending us your comment. We take good note and we will give it the attention it deserves. Come back to our site and thank you for your interest in the Bloc Québécois." -Bloc Quebecois website. I suppose my comment won't have any merit deserving attention.

And the wind shall say: "Here were decent godless people: Their only monument the asphalt road and a thousand lost golf balls." T. S. Eliot

1 comment:

art said...

Good for you emailing the parties. It is hard to believe that any federal party would enter into negotiations with the Bloc to form a coalition of any sort.

I have a feeling this may backfire on the NDP and Liberals. You cannot make deals with the "devil" and come out on top. The Bloc will screw them over in the eyes of the rest of Canada.

The coalitions claim is that they want to spend billions of dollars to stimulate our economy. The rest of the world has spent their billions and what difference has it made? From what I can tell, it has only made the executives of big business richer with no effect for the common person. Their plan will put Canada into a deficit situation which will hamper our long term growth.