Saturday, 15 November 2008

Dumb Luck

Yeah, so we were robbed last night, sometime between 10 pm and 6 am. I was heading out to work (to get there by six - kudos to me!), and noticed the rather blatantly open garage door. That didn't particularly alarm me, but I also noticed two boxes on the concrete, where they should not have been. I had to get to work, so I just shut the door and left. It seemed rather odd that two boxes would have flown off the shelf into a space usually occupied by a vehicle, so I fired off a couple texts from work to say that the garage door had been left open all night and Dad should check to make sure everything was still there.

My sister got the text, but Dad didn't check his phone because it was charging (all morning, apparently. What a lousy phone). My sister came home, and also noticed the boxes on the ground because they prevented her from pulling in. She moved them and pulled in anyways. A while later, however, my dad went in to the garage and noticed a screwdriver lying where it shouldn't have been. He couldn't find the toolbox to put it away. And then he noticed my old junky (but nice looking) computer was gone, too. That's about when my sister mentioned my text.

SO....
The thieves took (at least)
1. Snow blower
2. Pressure washer
3. Tennis/badminton rackets
4. A nigh useless computer with school projects on it
5. Dad's tools

Luckily, the bikes were in the shed. Dad just showed me the police report he's filing.

I'm not too worried about anything on my old computer that they might be able to get (assuming they can get that hunk of junk to work long enough to get anything off it). In fact, I kinda hope they try to use it, and realize they were gypped. And if they steal my essays... well, I suppose I should be flattered.

Funny thing is, the neighbours keep their garage door open on a regular basis, and we haven't heard of anything of theirs being stolen.

As for those thieves, “If man makes himself a worm he must not complain when he is trodden on.” Immanuel Kant

4 comments:

Bri said...

Well that story isn't entirely accurate but it was interesting. Poor Daddy.....

CavDawg said...

I'm sorry to hear it.

I have this great fantasy about people stealing my piece of junk car, because that would really be a self-punishing crime.

And, of course, we Mormons have a persistent joke that if we leave Books of Mormon lying around, people will come steal them and join our church.

Unfortunately, my car is now good and dead (meaning the thieves would have to repair it and then steal it) and Books of Mormon are generally free, which makes "stealing" them something of a paradox. Life is so hard.

Carla said...

Not entirely accurate? What part?

Justin said...

The thieves actually took a screw driver out before they stole it. How nice.