Tuesday, 12 August 2008

Battlestar Fanatica

Ok, so I desperately need to update this blog, but I haven't been struck by any inspiration lately. I thought about ranting over the the sky-high prices for gas, books, and school etc, but decided no one wants to hear me whine. Then I thought I could write something on the book I'm reading, The Four Loves, by CS Lewis, but then I remembered that I've only finished chapter 2, and should probably read the whole thing before posting. Then I thought I could write about Cirque du Soleil and Shakespeare in the Park (both of which were excellent, by the way), but those are much better to watch than to hear described. My fourth idea was to rave about my favourite shows, Battlestar Galactica and maybe even Stargate (I never did get around to that post), but the only thing I feel like mentioning about that is this:

The "human" version of Number 6 that tries to get Gaius Baltar into trouble, Shelley Godfrey, is carefully named. Shelley is in all likelihood a reference to Mary Shelley, who wrote Frankenstein. Frankenstein is about a human who built a monster, and the monster proceeding to turn evil and kill a bunch of people in retaliation. Battlestar Galactica is about people building cylons (robots) who proceed to rebel and almost utterly destroy the human race. See the similarity? And Godfrey is likely an allusion to the way Number 6 is always talking about "God" and how she is an instrument of God, and Gaius is an instrument of God, etc. etc. Shelley Godfrey, in her point of view, then, is basically an incarnation of God, free in the realm of the humans. Hmm... figured that all out myself, I did. I am so proud of myself!

Then I thought I could talk about my social life, but my recounting of theological and literary conversations would probably bore you to tears. And then I thought that this is probably incredibly boring already, so why not just end it here?

Something from Battlestar I thought rather interesting, and probably true: "There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people." Commander Adama

Gaius Baltar: All right, that's it! No more Mr. Nice Gaius!

2 comments:

art said...

I should be able to come up with some comments on this topic. I find it interesting how close the show resembles modern day earth with the exception of spaceships. I would suspect that when our planet achieves space travel, our earthly culture will have already progressed. Will people still be smoking when we have spaceships? Will cars still be using gasoline? Will the medical community be more advanced and have the ability of regeneration?

I wonder why the humans have a hard time telling the difference between a themselves and a cylon. If a cylon can push a fiber optic cable into her wrist and send a virus to a computer, there must be something substantially medically different that could be observed by even an untrained doctor.

nitsuj said...

lol Battlestar Fanatica.

that changed