Thursday, 5 June 2008

Recruiter's Lament

Oh where did the volunteers go?
I really would like to know.

Without our draftees, the camps cannot run,
And who wouldn't want to be part of the fun?
Either gone on vacation, or working all summer;
I don't know for whom it's the greatest bummer -
For them or for me, or for the young kid
Who won't attend day camps, but sit there amid
The bums, getting dumber and dumber.

Oh where did the volunteers go?
I really would like to know.

A volunteer position doesn't pay great,
It's too bad we can't use large paychecks as bait.
But good grief, they're fifteen - at that stage of life
One should be still carefree, not caged like a fief
Required to pay for this, that, and more.
Summer vacation's a must, but alors!
Hand me your day planner, then hand me a knife!

You're coming with us, I don't care what you say.
Just please come and help us this summer, okay?

"I have to wax my cat." Alice, from Dilbert explaining why she can't go on a date.

2 comments:

Kirk said...

Like the poem...but more especially the quote at the end which so fits the poem!

emmaline1138 said...

Actually, it's my dog that I have to wax. ;P

I can't wait for this camp, actually =) It's going to be fun!