Sunday, 25 May 2008

Andrew and Probie's Odd Job

My boss was very late the first day of my new job at church, leaving Andrew, who is my coworker, and I scrounging for things to do. Eventually one of the pastors approached us with a few sheets of paper. Naturally, we assumed he had a job for us to do in our spare time.

Nope.

He handed us both a sheet of paper entitled Are You Ready For Marriage? "Seeing as you have nothing else to do," he said sweetly, "I thought you could discuss this with each other. You have to think about this before a situation arises. And this is just perfect, because I know neither of you are involved in anything yet, so you'll have an objective male perspective, and an objective female perspective."

Now, he has a point. Apparently people don't think straight when they're completely enamored with another person, although I'm not sure why. But despite the fact that we have nothing against this friendly pastor, neither Andrew nor I are hunting for a soul mate just yet, and we found the situation rather unexpected and a little funny. How many 19-year-olds are paid to sit around discussing their hypothetical future marriages?

Nevertheless, we obeyed. Or started to. Perhaps we were too objective and removed. We hit a road block with criteria number 2, which said that being around your potential partner mustn't drain you.

Question: if being around your romantic partner is supposed to energize you, and not drain you, then are you both really hosed if one of you has ADHD? Are ADHD people forever barred from a happy marriage? Wouldn't some draining be a good thing for them? For that matter, just what exactly did the paper mean with the word "drain"?

While we were arguing the definition of drain, our boss walked in and we got to work. It's almost too bad. I would have liked to have seen what other debates arose from that paper.

My advice to you is get married: if you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher.” Socrates paraphrased

1 comment:

Art said...

In my opinion, the definition of someone who is a drain is anyone who zaps the life out of another person. High maintenance needy depressed people zap the life out of me. I would rather not be around those type of people.

Keep up the hard work. Perhaps you are to give a talk on marriage some day.