Monday, 21 April 2008

The Art of Motivation

About a week ago, my mom announced that we had guests arriving in two days time, and that one of them would be using my bedroom for the duration of her stay. I like to think that I'm somewhat generous, and didn't complain once about being booted from my beloved abode, but I do understand that it was entirely a manipulative plot on the part of my mother.

You see, if a guest were to be staying my room, I would have to clean it. Quickly. So I did.

It was a horrible experience. I tell you, it's a good thing I don't have asthma, because I would have died. The vacuum almost choked when I took it behind my drawers.

But now it's glorious. I can see the floor, and I am no longer in danger of crushing something important when I swing my legs out of bed each morning. All my important papers are no longer a second carpet, but neatly thrown into a cardboard box. My socks, though still mismatched, are now stuffed into a plastic bin. The DUST - it's GONE! And my closet has been reorganized: dirty clothes in the laundry bag, clean clothes on the shelves.

Now I just have to rescue my pet fish from its own filth and give my stuffed lamb, Charmin, a bath. Wow. My room feels so much bigger!

Speaking of messes:
"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?" Will Rogers

3 comments:

Art said...

I am glad you cleaned up your room. Maybe one day you will be a clean freak but I don't see it in you yet...

Anonymous said...

Hey! It wasn't entirely manipulative!! We did need the bed...
Mom

Kirk said...

Wow! That's some cleaning!
um...yeah...occasionally my room needs that too... ha!