Wednesday, 12 March 2008

Guilty As Charged

Hee hee...

It has been brought to my attention that, were he still alive, George Orwell would not be unlikely to dislike me. I'm not inexperienced at formulating precisely what he claims is contributing to the decline of the national political spectrum. Although certainly not unconsciously done, my actions were not the product of malevolent motives, and the tactics which Orwell describes were only utilized in order to secure more desirable gradings in academic work.

However, since I have been made aware of the issue, an attempt shall be made to rectify most of my ways... although surely it is not always unjustifiable to resort to vague language. One must admit that at times it may be convenient, not to mention in good judgment, to soften the effect of words and their meanings, for the sake of one's relationship to the greater population.

:-D

If you speak clearly, people will actually understand what you're saying, and if they understand you, you're bound to have more enemies. That could be disastrous. It's no accident people tend to speak in abstract terms and big, convoluted sentences, or without really making a statement at all. George Orwell says that when we cease to say what we mean, we cease to think about what we mean, too. And that just contributes to the disintegration of the nation.

And though it's not just politicians that do it, this is Jean Chretien, when someone asked him whether he was for or against abortion:

"Well, you know, my father's name was Joseph. My mother's name was Mary. I was raised on Holy Trinity Street. My initials are J.C. What do you think?"

5 comments:

Art said...

Well, not disirregardless of being both of singular thought on this topic, I also don't have much opinion that I would like to keep to myself when I am sharing my thoughts with others. How is speech manufactured if it does not in effect, transfer one to another a multiple shared experience that is unique to each person? Wouldn't it be not just noise?

Anonymous said...

I think you're both "wordy, but vague"!!
Go to bed, Carla. :)

CavDawg said...

There's a term that I believe is fairly universal: "collegese." It refers to high-school students trying to sound smarter than they are in their writing, but really it's an epidemic across all age groups.

For example, I had a friend in high school who, instead of writing, "We want to do a movie about Native Americans" for our project proposal, threw down something lengthy and certainly verbose which meant, effectively, "We want to do a movie about Native Americans."

However, as you seem to have discovered, some college professors are into that. Such being the case, congratulations.

Bri said...

Haha so I started to read your post but I couldn't understand what you were saying so I thought I'd try to read your deep philosophy later... but now I get it!! =D

Bri said...

Wow, I didn't realize until after I was finished reading your post that I got past the confusing part no problem. What has History 200 done to me??