Sunday, 6 January 2008

Heads and Hearts

Nut-2007-Shell:

In case you're not sure, that means "My Year in a Nutshell".

1. School.
2. Working at Tim Hortons.
3. Going to Peru.
4. School.
5. Teaching Sunday School.

That's mostly it. I played DS with my bro, made some friends, got to know others better, wondered about what I should do with my life.

Now what? I'm pretty frazzled right now. Apparently I left all the notes from the first semester at the school after my last exam three weeks ago and didn't notice until yesterday. Now I'm freaking out because I still need them.

That's the nutshell. Now I want to write about something else.

We had a meeting at church today about Sunday School. Somehow the topic of Head Knowledge vs. Heart Knowledge came up. Now basically, I'm interested it just what it is. How are those terms defined?

Head knowledge, I've always understood, refers to mental recognition of factual information. I've used the term "heart knowledge" in the past, and understood it to not mean anything related to factual knowledge, but to be merely an emotion that reflects head knowledge. That is, the feeling that what you "know" is true. To have heart knowledge about something you have no head knowledge about would be ridiculous - just an emotion that you couldn't legitimately base any decisions upon. Based on that, however, the term "heart knowledge" becomes an oxymoron, because emotions are unreliable, and can reflect anything, not just reality.

A couple of my friends came up with a good point, though. Are the two actually separate?
So, I was wondering, what is your understanding of "heart knowledge"? And are heart knowledge and head knowledge really separate? For example, can you love God without knowing Him, or know God without loving Him? Or does loving and knowing require both head and heart?

Hmm....

Well, anyway, speaking of knowing the difference between two things:

"For Children: You will need to know the difference between Friday and a fried egg. It's quite a simple difference, but an important one. Friday comes at the end of the week, whereas a fried egg comes out of a chicken. Like most things, of course, it isn't quite that simple. The fried egg isn't properly a fried egg until it's been put in a frying pan and fried. This is something you wouldn't do to a Friday, of course, though you might do it on a Friday. You can also fry eggs on a Thursday, if you like, or on a cooker. It's all rather complicated, but it makes a kind of sense if you think about it for a while."
Douglas Adams

2 comments:

Art said...

You can sum up 2007 into 4 things. I am sure you could go on and on about each of those four things though.

Is heart-knowledge of any importance? If it is unreliable as you say, then it cannot and should not be trusted. You did not exhaust that topic in your blog.

Bri said...

Those 4 (or 5) things seem worthwhile to fill up a year doing. =)
I am glad the fiasco of having no notes from the first semester has worked out now.

Understanding the Times was talking about the difference between heart and head knowledge, although they didn't use those terms. They referred to them as facts and values... and many describe all religious claims as "values" so they become subjective rather than fact. Christians need to have head knowledge to go with their heart knowledge!