Thursday, 18 October 2007

Loving LOTR

Okay, so this is almost precisely how my dad and I said Lord of the Rings should end, only we said it about a year ago! And what do you know, someone else thought the same and made a spoof about it. I feel like they stole our idea, even though we technically never patented it... At any rate, I laughed so hard when I saw this.

One word of caution: Boromir moons Sauron, so if cartoons mooning evil monsters disturbs you, close your eyes for a moment after "You suck".



One of my favourite quotes from the (real) movie:

Pippin: I didn't think it would end this way.

Gandalf: End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it...

Pippin: What? Gandalf? See what?

Gandalf: White shores... and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.

Pippin: Well, that isn't so bad.

Gandalf: No, no it isn't.

6 comments:

Emily said...

hah! I love these things =P

"Can you imagine if we had walked all the way?"
"Oh don't be ridiculous!"

lol!

Sandra said...

Hey--you know that that is one of MY favorite quotes from the LOTR movies!! Are you going to put on my other one? :)

Gwen Broucek said...

Hello,
This is a strange request. I work for The Evangelical Alliance Mission (TEAM) in Wheaton Il. Delwin Fowler worked w/ us in our Peru ministry area back in the 90s and left TEAM in '96 or around there. We have recently received two pieces of mail from IRS for him that came as certified mail which we had to sign for. Apparently, it is important! I believe that our Delwin is the same Delwin as your blog mentions. We do not have a current address on file for him so I hoped you could send me his current contact information. If this is the same Delwin as these letters are for, please let me know asap at gbroucek@teamworld.org, or 1-800-343-3144 ext 4820. Thank you.
Gwen Broucek
TEAM admin assistant

Michael said...

That's a great spoof, and a wonderful scene from the film, but those lines were never uttered by Gandalf in the books. So just a trivia question, from an old-school geek: Do you know what Gandalf is describing there, and where Tolkien wrote it?

Carla said...

I knew Gandalf didn't say that in the book, so I assumed that Tolkien hadn't written it, either, but that Philippa Boyens and the other screenplay writer. Whatever was originally meant by the line, I think of heaven. Please, enlighten me.

Michael said...

Carla:
Tolkien did write it. Remember the very end of "Return of the King," when Frodo boards the Elven ship for Valinor? Well, he makes it there, and here is how Tolkien describes it:

...And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

It's a great passage, and I'm glad that they found a way to put in the movie.