Saturday, 9 June 2007

Coffee Crazy Calgary

Well, my friends, I have come to greatly appreciate the art of writing over the past two/three weeks. As of yet, I still have not recovered my voice, and it is really starting to grind on my nerves. I'm sure everyone at work thinks I always wheeze and croak when I speak. I shall be very very thankful once (or if) my voice ever decides to return to me.

Meanwhile, I have been working eight hour shifts at Tim Hortons for this past week, now. (As an aside, the guy's name was Tim Horton. So shouldn't it be Tim Horton's possessive, not Tim Hortons plural?) They're long shifts, and don't leave me much time for getting everything else done, which is causing a bit of stress, because I have a lot to do before July rolls around! Peru will be awesome... provided I can pull myself together enough to be ready to leave...

Otherwise, Timmy's has been not bad. I brew more pots of coffee in one day than my parents have brewed in their lifetimes combined, and make so many ice cappucinos that I can't help but wonder if the consumption of all that ice is contributing to global warming. My coworkers are for the most part, very congenial. I'm making some friends, although it'd be a lot easier to do if I could actually speak to them. Yesterday I was making all the beverages for the cars that came through the drive-thru. It was pretty fun, actually, keeps me on my toes. But considering the number of Tim Hortons in the city, and the number of other fast-food joints, I didn't expect to be going steady at it for four and a half hours. Where do all those people come from? There are many, many coffee addicts in this city. I mean seriously... it can't be a good thing (except for the coffee houses, of course). I am so glad that my coffee intake is limited to the inhalation of the pleasant aroma, not the ingestion of the vile stuff itself.

So that's just a bit of an update to let you know what I've been up to recently.

"I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." Flash Rosenberg

"I think if I were a woman I'd wear coffee as a perfume." John Van Druten

Deja Brew: The feeling that you've had this coffee before.

2 comments:

Bri said...

I bet you a lot of the people who order iced caps are the people advocating we do everything to prevent global warming too. I'm glad your job is going well!

Art said...

I enjoy the ice caps. They are good. Not so much a coffee fan though...

I can't remember, were you ever able to speak? Maybe having no voice is normal for you?