Monday, 2 April 2007

Dies Irae

This is a requiem by Karl Jenkins called Dies Irae. I was introduced to it by my friend Sarah, and now I'm hooked (Love you, Sarah:-). I have one of Karl Jenkin's CDs already, but now I'm thinking I'm going to have to order another one. It's so dramatic, and so TRUE!

Dies Irae means "Day of Wrath", and was originally a Latin thirteenth century hymn, thought to be written by Thomas of Celano. Karl Jenkins came along and rewrote it. If you trust Wikipedia, there's an article on it there, complete with the English translation of the original lyrics. The entire song is talking about the judgment of God on the world.



Dies irae, Dies illa (This day, this day of wrath)
Solvet saeclum in favilla (Shall consume the world in ashes)
Teste David cum Sibylla (As foretold by David and the Sibyl)
Quantus tremor est futurus (What trembling there shall be).
Quando judex est venturus (When the judge shall come)

Cuncta stricte disscussurus! (To weigh everything strictly)
Tuba mirum spargens sonum (The trumpet, scattering its awful sound)
Per sepulchra regionum (Across the graves of all lands)
Coget omnes ante thronum (Summons all before the throne)
Mors stupebit et natura (Death and nature shall be stunned)

Cum resurget creatura (All creation is awakening)
Judicanti responsura (To render account before the judge)
Liber scriptus proferetur (The written book shall be bought)
In quo totum continetur (In which all is contained)
Unde mundus judicetur (Whereby the world shall be judged)

Judex ergo cum sedebit (When the judge takes his seat)
Quidquid latet apparebit (All that is hidden shall appear)
Nil inultum remanebit (Nothing will remain unavenged)
Quid sum miser tunc dicturus (What shall I, a wretch, say then)
Quem patronum rogaturus (To which protector shall I appeal)
Cum vix justus sit securus? (When even the just man is barely safe?)

4 comments:

Mom said...

No kidding it's dramatic! Very cool.

Bri said...

Haha! I'd love to try singing that hymn in church... we would all sound like "awelkrjdosifjwealkrfj". Cool music!

Sarah-Jane said...

Woohoo! Go Karl! I love this song!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad you put it up..I'd been wanting to hear it again!
I think we should do some kind of a dance or visual presentation to it...oooh it could be really awesome to should the many glorious and terrible sides of God: his mercy and his wrath.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness...I have been searching for the lyrics to the Karl Jenkins version of this song for months! Thank you so much for having them here!!! :D