Friday, 20 April 2007

Chatting with the Chaplain

Well.... I've really got very little to report at the moment. It's snowing - again.

On Wednesday I talked to the chaplain of my school to try to see what she believes about God. She appears to believe in Universal Salvation - not in that Hindus and Bhuddists, for example, go to heaven, but that their souls never die or go to hell. Once their wandering souls repent, then they'll be allowed into heaven. I brought up a few verses with her, like the one about the sheep and the goats going to His right hand and His left, and how He says over and over "I will judge". There's another thing I should have brought up - the Bible talks about His wrath to come. Not His wrath that would have come if Jesus hadn't died, but the wrath to come. So someone's going to be receiving it. And also, she did mention that works were required to be "saved" - not sure saved from what - but how can a soul without a body do works?

You've probably heard this one before: “I try to keep an open mind, but not so open that my brains fall out.” Harold T. Stone

Anyway, I've got to finish breakfast and go to school. It's winding down really fast, here!
God bless,
Carla

“All the interests of my reason, speculative as well as practical, combine in the three following questions: 1. What can I know? 2. What ought I to do? 3. What may I hope?” Immanuel Kant

I think that a lot of people forget about the last one, and really hope/hold out for too much. Let's hope I'm just being pessimistic.

3 comments:

Sarah-Jane said...

Open mind quote....hahahhaahhahahahaha brilliant...hope you have a good day at school! Love S

Bri said...

Sometimes I wonder if people's beliefs are completely thought up by themselves. They believe things to be the way they want them to be. :(

Keep talking to people! You're amazing!

Art said...

I wonder how much time a person spends thinking about heaven and hell. I would think a chaplain would have spent a fair bit of time working out the inconsistencies in their own belief before they would be allowed to graduate. I can understand that a dentist or a pilot may not spend much time thinking about these things, but a chaplain - that is their job.
I know people will have different beliefs from me but they should at least be internally consistent with their own theology.