Thursday, 1 March 2007

Patrick/Carla's Prayer

Dear folks,
There's not a whole lot to report, but I certainly can't say that things are boring. I have to plan more crafts for the Sunday School kids (each week), catch up on some schoolwork (reading and source-finding and big English project...), vacuum (too late tonight, I'll have to do that tomorrow) etc. etc. I'm happy, and totally stoked to get to church on Sunday, because I want to talk to the kids about salvation.

Anyway, I thought I'd copy down a version of St. Patrick's prayer here, because I like it both from a literary standpoint, and because I love what it's actually saying. It counts as my quote for today.

I arise today
Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,

Through a belief in the Threeness,
Through a confession of the Oneness,
Of the Creator of creation.

I arise today
Through God's strength to pilot me,
God's might to uphold me,
God's eye to look before me,
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to speak for me,
God's hand to guard me,
God's way to lie before me,
God's shield to protect me,
God's host to save me
From snares of demons,
From temptations of vices,
From everyone who shall wish me ill,
Whether far or near,
Whether alone or with many.

Christ with me,
Christ before me,
Christ behind me,
Christ in me,
Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ on my right,
Christ on my left.
Christ when I lie down,
Christ when I sit down,
Christ when I arise.
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of every man who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.

I think it's awesome how that prayer doesn't just "make room" for God in the day, but that it places God in the entirety of the day. Seriously, what does it leave God out of? Carla's got to learn to do the same, now.

I've got this tune stuck in my head, now, some of you should know it: God is goooooooood, all the tiiiiiiiiiiime, He's put a song of praise in this heart of mine...
Amen to that, although I'm not sure why that particular tune is stuck there. I haven't sang or heard it for ages!

Well, I really need to go to sleep now, or I won't be coherent for classes tomorrow. Til later,
Carla
XOXO

1 comment:

Aimee said...

Hey Carla, I love reading your blog entries. I somehow always seem to check it out whenever there is a new one posted. God bless and keep truckin'

[that was near the weirdest thing I've ever said but... :) ]