Wednesday, 21 March 2007

In the Style of Dr. Seuss

I'm doing an English project that involves rewriting a scene from Shakespeare's "12th Night" into different genres or styles of famous authors. I wrote like Dr. Seuss today, and now I've got a bunch of silly rhymes and alliterations burned into my brain. Therefore, you shall now all be treated to a short Bible story rewritten in the same way, that is, in the style of good sir Theodor Seuss Geisel.

Matthew 19:13+14 (NIV)

"Then little children were brought to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray them. But the disciples rebuked those who brought them. Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

+++

Kids. Crowd.
Kids in crowd and crowd of kids.
Big people bustle. Little people tussle.

Everybody stops.
"Who's that, Joe?"
"Who's who, Jane?"
"That man, Joe."
"You know, Jane."

A child clings to Mommy's tunic,
"Go, and let him hug you, Nick!"

And when a child who is giddy in a tizzy tries to hug the happy human-healer in the city, we call that a speedy giddy tizzy-kiddy skipping in the city to a large-lapped laughing heaven-Daddy.

Huge hugs,
Little hugs,
Cuddle hugs,
Bear hugs.

"No!" said a second man, "This is not good!
Parents keep kids out of his hair, or they should."
"Don't say such things," the first man corrected.
"Let them all come to me now," he directed.

He smiled and looked at the ones on his lap.
One had dozed off and was taking a nap.
"I have something special to say to you munchkins.
Will you all listen, you cute lot of pumpkins?"

Bobbing heads and eager eyes.
Nodding heads and gleaming eyes.

"I loved you before, and I'll love you forever.
My love for you, never can anything sever.
I love you in the street,
And I love you in the field.
I love where we meet,
And I love you without yield.
In a room
Or on a boat,
At a loom,
Or with a coat.
I already love you here and there.
I will love you everywhere!"

Big wet kisses on the cheek,
Several eyes begin to leak.
Jesus leans and whispers low,
"There's one more thing that you should know.
Listen, now, my little lambs,
Always know just who I AM!"

+++

Well, that's all for today, short of the obligatory Dr. Seuss quote:

I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!

2 comments:

Bri said...

Awww... that's so adorable!!

Nice work! You are going to do great on your project!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

I, for one, can attest that the Dr. Seuss version of Twelfth Night was much more interesting (and fun to read) than the original. Good work, Carla!
Love,
Mom
P.S. Do you like green eggs and ham?