Wednesday, 28 March 2007

Environmentalism-Shmentalism

On the news today, there was another bit about environmentalism. I am just about ready to take environmentalism and stuff it down the toilet! Can people get a grip, already? A town in Manitoba, Leaf Rapids, recently banned plastic bags. Ha! The very same news story also said that, in fact, paper bags require more energy to make, and take up more landfill space. So I guess there's probably going to be a push to see everyone lugging forty canvas bags around in their purses everytime they want to go grocery shopping. At least we don't have to deal with this in Calgary, where so far only the SUV tax has been recently instigated (only on SUVs, of course - not the trucks built on F250s).

I will be the first to admit that we need to take care of our planet (which, by the way, is the ancient Greek word for Wanderer), but where does the craziness end? In the words of John Howard Griffin's telegram to the President: AM TIRED OF BEING A LOSER. FROM NOW ON I'M GOING TO FORGET HUMANITY AND WORK FOR THE TREES.

When we spend millions of dollars to get a single beached whale back to its pod, or postpone construction on a medical center because a rare species of snake slid across the highway which lead to its almost being hit (see here), I can't help but think "How many people are dying because of this madness?" How many people could be benefited by those millions of dollars? How many people need that medical center to be built?

I would choose the life of any kid over the life of any animal at any time. Whales, while beatiful creatures and one of my favourite animals, are no comparison to human beings in terms of special value. As for the rare snake on the road, here's my Dad's solution to the problem: catch a rare eagle and then free the poor eagle just as the snake makes a second appearance. As the eagle flies away with the snake in its talons and everyone is shrieking with panic, you can calmly point out to the camera-man that all you did was free a rare bird.

And this huge cry out about global warming? Oh, don't get me started. Just take a look at this write-up, if you have time. I like the one quote: Unless you count campfires and intestinal gas, man played no role in the pre-industrial increases [of temperature]. I may post a video on global warming later on, but we'll see about that.

I understand that global warming is happening, and I understand that it may be disastrous for the human race (and, more importantly, the trees and the snakes, and the whales), but what are we supposed to do about it? Short of altering the very nature of nature, I mean. By throwing billions of dollars at it? Really, it isn't going to help. Maybe politicians and the public do, but the natural cycles of the earth do not have a price.

Well, that's my rant for today. I may sound harsh, but I'm just bloody sick of "environmental-this" and "environmental-that". I pick up other people's litter, here. And I suspect that does a lot more good for humanity and the environment than prohibiting CFCs and seeing people die as a result.

Hee hee! And check out these dudes who want to phase out the human race!

The bugs are more important:
If all mankind were to disappear, the world would regenerate back to the rich state of equilibrium that existed ten thousand years ago. If insects were to vanish, the environment would collapse into chaos.” Edward O. Wilson

1 comment:

Art said...

Maybe nobody is commenting on this because it is difficult to successfully argue against facts - Human caused climate change is mostly hype. If the sun even hiccups, it will do more to the climate change on the earth than all the Canadians will do in their lifetime. I think someone somewhere decided that the world needs a cause or common religion to help it unite - and environmentalism is that religion. I think it is a religion based primarily on fear. If we don't give billions of dollars to the environmental gods, we will all die.