Friday, 23 February 2007

Where's Waldo?


I have had a cold for the past three days, and even though it hasn't been that bad, my nose is still getting raw. Ugh! Can't complain too much, though, because this cold really isn't that bad in comparison to some that I've had. Have you ever almost gone insane because your nose requires a blowing so often you can barely get out a full sentence in between them? Whoever thinks being insane is fun - perhaps, but not when you're driven insane due to a runny nose.

I had supper at the Poffenroths on Thursday so that we could review the interviews we'd filmed before the Bible study. I really look forward to Thursday evenings.

Friday night was "Where's Waldo" at Chinook mall with the church youth group. Luke Benner and I traipsed the mall together looking for people from our church who were disguised in all sorts of ridiculous manners (some of which you can see in the picture I posted). We didn't do too bad - we found 13 people out of 21. Nobody found everybody; I think the highest score was 15, so we weren't badly off. Once we saw somebody whom we thought was a church member, one of us would have to approach him or her and ask "Is it faster to Vancouver by train, or is my grandma in your pocket?". Church members would then give a ridiculous reply and initial your paper for you. Non-church members, of course, would think you're entirely wacko and probably tell all their friends to steer clear of you. Luckily, neither Luke or I asked a wrong person, although obviously we missed a few of the right ones. Normally we'd see someone looking somewhat "suspicious" (meaning weird), then walk past them two or three times trying to ensure it wasn't actually just a weird-looking stranger before going out on a limb and asking them the question. I saw Leanne there, several times, but totally didn't recognize her. We apparently walked right past Chris a bunch of times, but he was avoiding us like the plague, so somehow we never saw him. At one point we found another guy, and he actually tried to phone Chris to let him know we were headed toward him! Makes me feel good to know we were so passionately avoided ;-). Man, some of the disguises were incredible! Luke had to do a double take and wasn't even sure if this one gothic lady was his mom or not - but then he realized she was wearing his jeans.

There really aren't many people my age at youth anymore, so a lot of the drive to go no longer exists, but I'm glad I went to Where's Waldo, anyway. It was a lot of fun. The only bit of a let down that night was finding out that one group of girls had lied the entire time about how many people they had found in order to get sympathy, and hence information, from other teams. Oh, well. I guess I'll know not to believe them so quickly next time we play a game together.

But that was all yesterday and before. Now I have to get a craft together for the kids at church before tomorrow, and do at least one intense editing and revision of my essay before Monday. Yeah... unfortunately for me, Reading Week is over and school begins again on Monday. Nuts.

"Make a great quote and your name will live forever." Anonymous

6 comments:

Janelle said...

Sounds like an interesting event, and also one requiring those participating to have the nerve to step out and risk being wierd... something we all know Carla has the guts to do. That's one thing I admire about you, Carla, is your ability to be yourself. I'm so happy that you have found a renewed purpose in life and a passion for witnessing, it's really great to see. Well, I'm hoping that your runny nose gets better, and all the best with the assignment due Monday!

Carla said...

Hi, Amy. ;-) You confused me for a minute, there. Thanks!

Sarah-Jane said...

Hey Carla,
I added you to my links...go to greenwoodmusings.blogspot.com to find me...
Sarah

Emily said...

Hey Carla! I added you to my links =) Hope you have a great week! Oh, and I was wondering, can I post the video of you and Justin on my blog?

bri said...

wow, that quote is confusing...

keep up the blogging!

xoxoBri

Art said...

Thanks for the nutcracker. I guess I can now finally forgive you after all these years :) Love you.